Fire crew issues building site warning after mud incident

CHILDREN are being warned to steer clear of building sites after a 13-year-old boy became stuck in mud in Mossley.

Fire crews rescue child who became stuck in the mud on Mossley building site

Emergency services were called to Richmond Crescent in early afternoon on Sunday, January 27 after being alerted the teenager had become trapped almost to his waist on the Earnshaw Clough housing development.

Locals had unsuccessfully attempted to dig out the youngster which is why further assistance was summoned.

Fire crews from Mossley and Stalybridge were joined by the fire service’s technical rescue unit from Ashton, the water incident unit from Heywood and North West Ambulance Service.

The boy was released as firefighters put down trench boards before digging him out.

Mossley watch manager Gary Phillips said: “The boy was freed one leg at a time and was uninjured, though dirty, as he walked to safety.

“Paramedics were concerned about him being cold due to the amount of time he had been stuck and he was taken to hospital for a precautionary check.”

Gary is keen to point out playing on building sites is dangerous.

He said: “We cannot stress the importance of children not playing on building sites because the risk of injury is very high.

“We visit schools and reiterate the message to stay away from building sites because of the dangers of mud, water and ice.”

Mossley firefighters also recently released a 30-year-old man who was trapped when a retaining wall collapsed on Stable Fold, Mossley.

Builders were working at the property when the wall collapsed and firefighters used a spade and shovel to release him.

He was put on a long board to protect him until he was checked out and was fortunate to escape serious injury.

Earlier the same day as the boy was trapped in mud, the Mossley crew was also called to a home on Kingsley Close, Ashton.

A 70-year-old woman had fallen out of bed and got her arm stuck in the rails.

Firefighters used hydraulic equipment to cut the rail and free the pensioner.

• Free home safety checks and free smoke alarms are available.

For a safe and well visit and home safety check, contact 0800 555815.

2 Replies to “Fire crew issues building site warning after mud incident”

  1. As well as site security the company who run the site CPUK seem to pay little attention to Health and Safety issues surrounding the area. From HGV’s cutting corners and driving over pavements and blocking highways/access routes /driveways to cement mixers overhanging pavements leading to pedestrians having to walk in the road and at risk to traffic they have offered nothing but a shambolic operation with no consideration to the surrounding community. The sooner this building work ceases the better before a serious accident or even death occurs.

  2. One year into this unannounced build and all there is to show for all the total incompetence, rudeness, disrespect for existing residents, shambolic procedures, health and safety breaches , is three half- built houses and continuing disruptive groundwork’s. Says it all really, the land in question and the access used were never, and still are not , fit for this development. Thankyou Tameside Council and CPUK…. not!
    Unfortunately it’s not about reliving homelessness, it’s all about the money…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *