Midfielder sidelined by serious injury

PAUL Marshall admitted his life has been turned upside down after being seriously injured in Mossley’s Manchester Premier Cup tie against Abbey Hey.

Paul Marshall

The 30-year-old midfielder ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and tore the meniscus in his right knee.

“When I had the results of my MRI scan, the results couldn’t have been much worse,” admitted Marshall, a former professional at Manchester City.

Marshall, who returned to Seel Park on Saturday (Nov 16) for the game against Colne, is to undergo surgery in December.

And depending on Marshall’s rehab, he has been told he will not play again for between nine and 12 months.

It is a massive blow for Marshall ,who has not been able to work since the injury was sustained on October 8. He is employed by an electrical business and much of his time in spent on site.

Marshall, a former England Under-20 international, said: “It has been really hard. For the first two or three weeks I was effectively bed-ridden or on the sofa.

“My mum Tina would come around during the day to cook for me as I couldn’t move. I have also spent a lot of time with my girlfriend Katie Burgess who has helped me no end.”

Marshall says he has been lucky to be able to have surgery so quickly after the Professional Footballers’ Association agreed to pay for his operation. They also footed the bill for his MRI scan.

“That is one of the benefits of being a former professional footballer as the PFA look after you for life,” he said.

Recalling the injury, which was sustained when he turned with no opponent nearby, Marshall said he felt something snap in his knee.

“I had never felt pain like that. There were waves of pain and my knee swelled up straightaway. It was horrible,” he said.

Indeed, it was awful for spectators, as well as the players, to hear his screams of pain before he left the field on a stretcher.

Marshall was taken to Tameside General Hospital, where he spent five hours and after having an x-ray was discharged wearing a knee brace.

He was disappointed after settling well after joining the Lilywhites after training with them pre-season.

Marshall brought a wealth of experience to Seel Park having played as high as in the Championship for Blackpool and in the Scottish Premier League for Aberdeen.

He had also played league football for Port Vale in two spells, Walsall and Rochdale before spending the last seven years in non-league at FC Halifax Town in two spells, Stockport County, Bradford Park Avenue, Alfreton Town, Curzon Ashton and Buxton.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *